The mowing season is in full swing and keeping the grass cut is a chore. Everyone is doing quite a bit of mowing this summer. I’m sure all those home owners with lawns are looking forward to the weekly grass cutting? Yeah Right! lol
The result of a freshly mowed lawn is always a present sight but, using lawn mowers can be dangerous when they’re used incorrectly.
Each year 75,000 people are injured annually in lawn mowing accidents and 16,000 of those are children. Many of these injuries are burns caused by careless use of mowers before using or cleaning your mower. Before using or cleaning follow these safety tips:
1. Do not smoke while fueling lawn mowers. As we all know, gasoline is flammable and is explosive too.
2. Wait for machines to cool before refueling. Wipe up spilled fuel immediately. Never fuel a running mower.
3. Store and pour gasoline carefully and keep it in an approved container with a tight-fitting lid.
4. Check electrical mower cords for frayed or damage spots. Frayed insulation added to a metal mower, damp or wet grass, can cause lethal shocks or severe electrical burns.
5. Leave blade sharpening and electrical repairs to professionals
6. If you do your own cleaning and tune up, disconnect the spark plug or remove it before beginning. If your mowers clogs up with grass it’s safe to make sure they are shut off first. If a blade is turned by hand, the mower can start if the spark plug is still intact.
7. Never leave the mower without turning it off. It takes only a few seconds to run inside and only a few seconds for the mower to run over someone and caused serious injury.
Here's a very funny but good to the point on Lawn Mower Safety YouTube video that shows how important Lawn Mower Safety is …
When you're mowing your lawn, be mindful of children. “Awareness,” it's everything. Always be conscious of your surrounding and know what's around you while mowing.
Have a safe enjoyable lawn mowing season.
Learn Not To Burn! Be Fire Safe